Dear NAPDS Members and Friends:
Through the Policy and External Relations Committee, NAPDS partners with several organizations. One of those, the American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE), holds regular policy updates. According to the most recent webinar, your voice is urgently needed.
Congress is currently developing tax bills in both the House and the Senate. Both bills include items that will have major implications for universities and school districts. Some of those items include:
- A change in charitable giving that could result in a reduction of donations to universities.
- The elimination of the deduction for college-age dependents.
- A repeal of tuition reduction assistance which means that graduate students would have to pay taxes on tuition assistance received from universities.
- Removal of deductions for educators who spend their own money on classroom supplies.
- The zeroing out of Title II Funds, Teacher Quality Partnership Grants, and School Leader Recruitment and support grants.
In addition, we are currently operating under a continuing resolution through December 8th, which means that money is being spent the same way it was spent last year. Education funding could be shortchanged if the caps are not raised.
How can you help?
- Reach out to your university or school district government relations officials. They may already be aware of these issues, but they may not be aware about how your programs, students, etc. may be affected. Ask them if there is anything you can do to help support them in advocacy.
- Participate in action alerts. AACTE will be sending out an action alert soon regarding the caps. Please look for these and participate to support funding for education.
- Constituent voices matter, so reach out to congressional members. You can always advocate as a private citizen by not using your title and address. Please check with your faculty/staff handbooks to be clear on guidelines related to advocacy and work with your government relations staff.
Thank you for all that you do for our students and our schools. Have a happy Thanksgiving.
National Association for Professional Development Schools (NAPDS)